Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Recipe So Easy Even I Can Do It

Disclaimer : I am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination. Now that we have that all cleared up and your expectations are low let's proceed.

I thought I would share this gem of a recipe since, as the title states, it is so easy even I can make it and it is so yummy. It's my mother in laws recipe {if it's your grandmother's I am sorry this is just the first person I heard it from} for green bean bundles and I made it Saturday night when we went to their house to grill out.{a BIG risk I know...and no they were not as good as hers}. Ok, enough with the small talk let's get cooking.

Here is what you will need:



You will need more than one can of green beans...at least two...I had just already thrown the other cans away.

Oh and silly me this....I forgot to take it out of the refrigerator when I was taking pictures..I'm really on a roll...do you see now why it needs to be easy?



Open your cans of green beans and drain them....not bone dry just give them a few extra shakes after you pour out the liquid and then dump them in a casserole dish...Pyrex...Corning Ware ....whatever you happened to register for when you got married.



You need pay close attention b/c this can get confusing {not really I just like to think of this as a bigger accomplishment than it was}. Proportions: for every TWO cans of green beans you will use 3/4 of a cup brown sugar and 2 tsp mustard powder.



{Here comes the confusing part} This can get really sweet really fast so if you are using more than two cans start with 3/4 cup brown sugar and go from there {I do double the mustard powder proportionally because I like the kick...its all about personal taste here...so taste as you go}. I used three cans of green beans because I really like to confuse myself and make things harder. There were going to be 6 of us at dinner and I usually estimate 2-3 bundles per person and this was just the right amount.

Mix this all up...don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. It works great to make the bean mixture the night before so it really has time to marinate. I didn't think that far ahead so I just stuck it in the refrigerator for a couple hours....or you don't even have to do that if you don't feel like it.



Next is the really strenuous part. Take your pack of bacon and cut it in half so you have short strips of bacon {I used about an entire pack of bacon for my 3 cans}. Then grab a handful of beans and drop them in the middle of a half strip of bacon and wrap...it's not an exact science...at least not in my house...but I have never been confused for being type A.








{those were for you type A people}

Line your bundles up in your pan as you go. I had to use two pans b/c my three cans made 18 bundles and I could only get 12 in my 9x12 Pyrex.



Bake on 350 for about 30 min or until the bacon is crisp. I broiled mine for just a couple minutes at the end to really crisp it up....{just watch the syrupy mixture in the bottom b/c I almost smoked everyone out of the kitchen}. I had taken these to my in-laws house to bake them so that was awesome. That is also why I have no pictures of the finished product...and there were none left over....so sorry....you'll have to use your imagination. If you are going to bake and then transport I would suggest just tenting the foil over the pan otherwise your bacon will get soggy {so I have heard} and who likes soggy bacon? These really are great and not hard...so please try them!


Ending Disclaimer: I realize after looking over this post that some of these pictures are horrible and I apologize...my kitchen is Terribly {with a capital T} lit which does not make for a great portrait studio....that and I am still figuring out how to use my camera.



1 comment:

  1. I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting your next post and dying laughing, yet VERY nervous.

    Ok, I just have a correction to make on this post for all of your readers that don't know you... SHE IS INCREDIBLY TYPE A, SO PLEASE TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION WHILE READING THIS. THANKS!

    HB

    ReplyDelete