Monday, May 4, 2009

One Man's Trash...

I have taken a little grief here and there over my trash loving ways. I will admit that I have made my husband pull over while I grab something that somebody has set out with their trash. {They were perfectly good planters and I made sure they were not marked for charity} I think it embarrasses him and probably his family too, but that's ok I have no shame...or money to be spending on new planters.

Anyway, I have had the itch recently to hit up some of the local yard/estate sales to see what I could find. When we first moved into our house two years ago I was all inspired to decorate and get settled in. I made a little progress and then ran out of steam/money/decision making capabilities. Since I had Saturday morning free, and I would have been staring at Brandon waiting for him to wake up anyway, I was up and out and on my way.

I bought a plate at the first yard sale {I have a dish problem} and then headed to the second estate sale...as soon as I pulled up I wished we had a bigger car. There was a china cabinet to die for two club type chairs that needed recovering but at $15 that was a pretty darn good deal, and various other things like old books that I didn't need. I managed to gain my composure and remind myself that I didn't have a dining room for the china cabinet or a place for two chairs...not to mention I have one sitting in our upstairs bedroom waiting to be upholstered. {I don't have any pictures because I was too busy guarding the pile of things I needed really really wanted} I will probably be kicking myself over those chairs for the next 5 years because if I had gone back on Sunday and they were there they would have been $7.50...how can you beat that...but oh well...I am sure there will be plenty of estate sales between now and the time I have a place to put them.

Moving on...I did manage to score a few other items and I only spent about $20...I know...this could be a problem.





so I did end up with two chairs...but I thought they would be a little more practical and easily stored than the other two. The green one needs some sanding and a serious coat of paint, but the yellow one is pretty much good to go...until I decide it should be another color. The little table I was thinking is the perfect size to put a cute cushion on the top and turn it into a bench to sit at the end of our guest bed....{the big table in the background belongs to my mother in law who, lucky for me, needed somewhere to store it}. The footstool I just thought was cute and who doesn't need a footstool? Let's take a closer look at some of my favorite finds...





How great is the large fork and spoon set? They need a coat of paint...but that is no big deal and I love them. I think Pottery Barn used to have some that I liked, but they cost an arm, a leg, and maybe a firstborn so these were a much better deal at $5. In the background is the plate I bought at the first stop and I can hear my sister gagging now because she HATES that kind of stuff...cause her house looks like this...



and it's also for sale in case anyone is looking for a house in Nashville. I bet you are glad you sent me those pictures now aren't you sis?

Now, back to the Pièce{s} de résistance....the teacups

Oh the teacups are my favorite {I told you I had a dish problem}. They are the perfect shade of Robbin's egg blue...they were $0.70 apiece and they will look perfect in this...



OK OK... so I don't have this...yet...it's one of those things that I rip out to put in my idea binder for that house I'll have one day...but I thought I should go ahead and be proactive and start buying the dishes.

I'll be back with part two of our weekend at some point...but my dryer burned up {again} this weekend and I need to try to find another motor on ebay...so I can at least have clean laundry to take on our trip, and then I will deal with the fact that our dryer hates me later.

1 comment:

  1. i love the stuff you picked up. i like buying dishes too -i love a mismatched look!- but i have to be very careful because my kitchen is the size of a shoebox.

    ReplyDelete