Friday, October 16, 2009

Fall Project #1: Desiging on a Dime

In honor of my parents visit this weekend, I have been trying to spruce up the house with a few fall decorations. I think the extent of the fall decorations last year were 3 wooden pumpkins and a sign on the front door. Since there is actually going to be someone besides ourselves that see the inside of our house this year, I figured I needed to step it up a little bit.


I found this image at Pottery Barn {of course} and thought hmm...I really like that...looks easy enough....but even though the $34 price tag for the 3 gourds is very affordable for a piece of Pottery Barn...I thought I could do a little better. So I printed out the picture and took it to Hobby Lobby. If you don't have a Hobby Lobby I am sorry...really I am...unfortunately for my husband, there is a Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and now a JoAnne's all within a 3 mile radius of our house. However, Hobby Lobby consistently has their merchandise on sale.

Hobby Lobby came through and had all their fall decorations 50% off and even their Christmas stuff was 40% off....UH OH...but I did well and was proud of myself...I stuck to the items in the picture...gourds...leaves...some twiggy berry things...and some form of nuts...I was even more proud of myself with the total...just under $20. Take that Pottery Barn and your $34 gourds.

So while I would love to give you instructions on how to do this...and it turn out just like the picture..mine turned out not looking exactly the same but whatever...here is a brief step by step of how I did it...
  1. Pull out a serving platter that you registered for when you got married and have never used
  2. Make a complete and utter mess of your kitchen table

  3. Drop a lot of stuff on the ground..and then have to pull said stuff out of your dogs' mouths

  4. Arrange everything on said platter and then hate it

  5. Pull out another platter you have never used and repeat steps 2&3

  6. Find random candles that have been scattered in various places throughout your house

  7. Repeat step 4 until you finally don't hate it

and there you have it...in just 7 easy steps you too can have a fall centerpiece...that doesn't really resemble the picture you started with...but you get the idea...

A fun little idea for all the Birmingham folk...the candle in the back came from Wildflower Wax in Helena..I made it all by myself...well they do the technical part...but I picked the scents and assembled it. I will be going back for more. It smells amazing and I thought it would be a great personal Christmas gift idea...they also have a blog where they will post upcoming events for their store...umm...and I should also mention they carry a wide variety of vintage cowboy boots...I am pretty sure I tried on every pair in my size and lusted over them...the turquoise and brown Lucchese boots were made for me...**cough cough** Brandon I know you are reading this...its a fun new place and you should check it out....Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. 1. My new table is coming and, YES, I just logged on to reread this post and jot down your ideas. Thanks DS! I have to do something and I'm VERY impressed. That will last through T'giving.

    2. How come we haven't been to the wax place?

    3. I would KILL for cowboy boots, but JB always laughs. SO, Brandon, I know, too, that you are reading this perhaps you and JB should take these hints and have a "fun weekend outing" VERY soon. Y'all do that and AB and I will go make candles. OH WAIT... I guess we can't all be at the same place, at the same time. Oh well.

    Roll Tide!

    ReplyDelete