Friday, October 9, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Things are finally starting to cool off around here...well except for today...it is about 90 degrees and 200% humidity. I was all ready to fully commit to the fall wardrobe and then today screwed it all up. None the less, it is October and I forget each year how much I love fall...I hate being cold so much that by the time winter is wrapping up I am ready for the extreme heat of the southern summer, the kind where you walk outside and instantly start to sweat. Yes...I will probably have to be a snow bird in south Florida by the time I am 30. I always forget about this special albeit short time of the year when there is low humidity a cool breeze, and I don't have to let my car air out for 30 minutes after work lest I be suffocated if I immediately get in. Here are a few more specific reasons for my love of fall.

The numero uno reason I love fall and I just wait for that dip in temperature is this...

Good ole Cincinnati Chili....Mercy...there is nothing in the world that can compare to this NOTHING...I believe that this fell straight from heaven along with Paula Deen's Ooey Gooey butter cake...I mean just look at that cheese and yes there is chili under there....no it is not spaghetti it is Cincinnati Chili and if you ever get the opportunity to eat at a Skyline...take it...and eat one for me. We have a Skyline in Louisville and it is always a stop when I go home even if it is in the dead of summer because it is that good....and their cheese coney...don't even get me started.

I buy these packets in bulk when I go home because it helps me make it through the winter. The last time I was in line the checkout lady looked at me like I had three heads...I had to explain to her that I lived out of state and this stuff is worth its weight in gold. No I am not being over dramatic...its the truth...one of the guys at a grocery store in Louisville told me they were going to discontinue these packets and I wanted to slap him right there on aisle number 3 for saying something so horrible to a lady...so when I found them at the next grocery store I bought approximately 22 packets to shove in my suitcase...hence the crazy look from the check out lady.
moving on....

2. I love a fall candle...its an exercise in self control all year round to not burn my fall candles. I pack them carefully away when fall fades into winter and spend the rest of the year lingering around the closet that holds this...

well this is what it is called now...apparently Bath and Body Works has renamed the Pumpkin candle I have had in the past and you can imagine my distress when I went to pick one up yesterday and also saw this....I stood there sniffing and sweating in distress trying to figure out which one was the one that I have almost completely burned in 8 days {you can't burn fall candles before Oct. 1}...finally the clerk came to the rescue and assured me that pumpkin patch was the oldie and the goodie...so here is my question B&B...why change a good thing....WHY?? What purpose does it serve to put your customers in distress that you have discontinued the official smell of the Bates' fall??? I quickly got over it when I found out these babies were 2 for $20 {normally 1 for $20} and promptly picked up this one...Just about every bit as good as pumpkin patch...spicy and fallish just the way I like it...I promptly went home, poured a glass of red wine and burned those mothers for about 4 hours....and tried to catch up on my DVRed Grey's Anatomy....AHH....fall

3. I'll end here but the list could go on...this is just a little wordier longer than planned. One of my all time favorite fall places is Huber's . It is never really fall until you go here...and apparently it hasn't truly been fall in about 3 years in my book because Brandon and I seem to never get to Louisville in the fall {i.e. it's football season} Huber's has a family restaurant, farmer's market, creamery, winery, petting zoo, and they actually take you out to the field to pick your pumpkin...and they have an Apple orchard too...apparently they have really expanded into some other activities...but like I said its been years...and their apple and pumpkin butters...yep you guessed it fell from heaven too...




I am now slightly depressed after looking at their website and seeing it is Apple and Pumpkin picking time....man I took those field trips for granted....I guess I will just have to become their friend on Facebook and live vicariously through other people's pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment