Monday, April 20, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

After our busy day Saturday I decided to wind down by working a little bit on my latest idea. Here is how it started.



I don't have any in between pictures because I got a little caught up in the painting. I could have reworked this one 1,000 times I think. {the beauty of acrylic} I tried out a new {to me} technique using transfers for the lettering because my handwriting is terrible and would have ruined it for sure. I printed off the words on a laser jet printer { I think ink jet will work too} after I mirrored them using paint.net {the free version of photoshop}. Everything transfers backwards when you lay it on the canvas so words have to be mirrored so you can read them. I rubbed my varnish medium onto the paper using my finger and then stuck it on the canvas and rubbed with the back of the spoon. I should have left it over night to dry but I was a little anxious to see how it was going to turn out so I jumped the gun a little on that. After I peeled back the top layer of paper, I took a wet washcloth and rubbed over the letters to try to remove some of the left over paper...in the process I rubbed off some of the black ink {should have let it dry} so when I had my "final" version I went back over the letters with black paint to help fill them back in. Here is my first "final" version.

I wasn't sure if I liked the clouds so I painted over them. I also thought "The Cow" lettering could be a little bigger so I painted over that too...AND I wanted to add a C for Cow in the corner because I love children's alphabets so here is the second "final" version.



Honestly, now that I see them both in a picture I am not sure which one I prefer...I guess they both work in their own way...I guess that is just part of the process...I'll continue to piddle around with my paint to see what else I can come up with...practice makes perfect..and this may not be the final version either.

And a little WOO HOO for Italy one month from TODAY!!

1 comment:

  1. Do you want my comments on this? Probably not, and I will also refrain from telling YOU what you SHOULD do with this art. MY WORD!

    HB

    ReplyDelete